The bylaws prohibit noise which, in the opinion of the Board or Manager, infringes on the rights of other occupants to enjoy the quiet and comfort of their premises. Please recognize that sound travels easily between walls, floors and ceilings.
The bylaws also require that construction, involving noise which may affect other occupants, must be reported in advance and restricted to the hours of 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Policies and procedures:
- In accordance with City of Edmonton community standards bylaw, all residents are asked to reduce noise between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m.: refrain from the use of dishwashers, washers, dryers, garburators or other noisy appliances; reduce the volume on TV’s, music etc.
- Residents are encouraged to first discuss noise concerns with the neighbour creating the noise in an effort to resolve the situation in an amicable and reasonable fashion.
- If this discussion does not resolve the situation residents may choose to lodge a complaint with the Manager, during regular office hours, describing the issue in writing, including what steps have been taken to resolve it.
- The Manager will record the complaint, investigate and attempt to resolve the issue.
- The Board will be advised of the need for any further action.
- Fines and recourse to legal action will be pursued as permitted by law, if other attempts at mediation fail.
- Where warranted, such as an urgent or dangerous situation, residents are advised to call the Edmonton City Police.